Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer Siesta

In high school, I can remember being offended the day after a formal dance and a late night spent at friend's house when my mom suggested I take a nap. How childish! I was, afterall, 16. Although I ended up taking her advice and did nap that day, I did so rather begrudgingly.

Coliena Rentmeester

I discovered a true love for napping, however, when living in the dorm my freshman year in college. My bed was positioned by the window, and it caught mid-afternoon sunlight as it streamed into our room. I don't remember the first time I fell asleep while lying in that puddle of light, but, like a cat, I became crazy about napping while basking in the warm sun.

Martin Lof

Life has been feeling rather nonstop for E and I as of late, and I believe this is only the beginning. Looking forward, I'm not sure when things will slow down, which leaves me longing for a day where we can steal a luxurious nap together.

While napping will certainly do anytime of the year, grabbing a siesta on a warm afternoon and waking with many hours of daylight remaining is something I love about summer.

20 comments:

georgia b. said...

oh, what a lovely post. i sure would like to take a siesta today. naps are one of my favorite things—any time of year.

i hope your life slows down a bit and you get some siesta time in this summer.

vicki archer said...

Lovely thoughts and lovely images to go with them...Happy napping and happy weekend, xv.

Alicia said...

I hope you find a spare pool of light & 30 minutes for a nap of two.....
I laugh when little ones protest so much about napping, knowing one day they''ll yearn for it more than the protesting.
Adore the images!!!!
Chill a bit this weekend.

Amanda said...

What a beautiful narrative to go with your images. I really felt as though I was curled up under the stream of sunlight with you.
It's sunday over here in Australia, so I'm going to pour myself a cup of tea and spent the next little while perusing the rest of your lovely blog.

Anonymous said...

Oh i love nanna naps! There used to be a lovely beam of sunlight on my front lawn every sunday afternoon. It was great for reading and falling asleep...but I've moved. Alas, no more

Anonymous said...

thank you for visiting my blog!
i'm enchanted by yours. so beautiful with such lovely images. i hope you're having a relaxing weekend!

Kellie Collis said...

I also adore napping.... then waking up with the rest of the day and night to enjoy! Fabulous! xx

Maureen Stevens said...

siestas are so scarce for me nowadays but it just may be the trick to keep me rejuvenated all day :)

Jayne said...

Thanks for the visit to my blog. This post of yours is very topical for me as you know, so bring back the nap! If only ... I hope all is well. It sounds like you are very busy and overwhelmed with life at the moment. Catch some rays and have a great week. Jayne xo

Bri said...

You know, I hate napping in fact, but in the abstract, it sounds great! I love these pictures, they're so...pleasant.

alissa said...

mmm napping. i never used to be a napper but im definitely learning :)
i hope things slow down for you! if you want them too. sometimes i love a good rush haha

the linen paperie said...

Gorgeous post. Perfect sunny sunday afternoon nap coming up!

Haven and Home said...

Oh there is nothing like napping in the sun...

Courtney said...

It's been said those who nap live longer. And cats have 9 lives, so I think we should take note. I am a sucker for afternoon naps and JJ takes one about 3x a week after his lunch :)

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

I love napping in the afternoon, with the window open during summer :)

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great post. I am right there with you. Life has been so hectic lately- I need a nap. Or two.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

There is not much that I love more than a siesta on a weekend afternoon! Just wish my bambino shared that love. He's pretty much of the belief that naptime is his nemesis.

abigail said...

I need to go hook up the hammock and take a nap right now!

Rachel Follett said...

When it gets really hot the best thing is to take a nap! I haven't had a chance to do this but I am eager to get one in.

PS~Erin said...

Isn't it funny how things change... We spent the morning at the zoo in 90+ temps yesterday and all I wanted was a nap. The kids? Nope! I could totally embrace the siesta!